This is my favourite recipe for roasted beetroot, this makes for a great side dish, or you can even add it to a salad. The preparation isn’t messy and bigger beets come out tender, juicy and sweet as they are roasted whole in foil.
WHOLE BEETROOT ROASTED IN FOIL
- 3 Beetroot Whole, with skin
- 1 tbps Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Clean beetroot from all dirt. Chop off the thin root at the bottom and discard the leaves.
- Tip: There is no need to peel the skin off. It’s much easier to do it once the beetroot is cooked.
- Place the whole beetroot onto the foil. Sprinkle it with salt and toss with a spoon of olive oil.
- Close all sides of the foil so the air can’t escape during roasting.
- Place the beetroot into the oven and roast for approximately 2 – 3 hours depending on the size of the vegetables.
- Test them with a fork or a knife, if they feel tender all the way through, they are done.
- Once they have cooled down, peel the skin off.
- Serve warm or cold cut into slices or cubes.
About the recipe
There isn’t anything better than cooking with freshly picked vegetables from the garden. We usually grow tomatoes, a few strawberries and some herbs during summer but taking care of a garden when we travel frequently is difficult. It’s why we are always excited to visit our grandad’s vegetable patch. He never disappoints us with his vegetables. Last year he amazed us with his fantastic tomatoes that I mentioned in my Fresh Mozzarella and Tomato Salad post. This year, it was his fabulous beetroot that won our hearts and inspired me to write this recipe.
Make sure the beets are clean.
Place beetroot in foil parcel and sprinkle with salt a spoon of oil.
Roast for 2-3 hours at 140 C (285 F).
Peel the skin off from a roasted beetroot is much faster, than peeling a raw beet.
The roasting time varies depending on the size of the beetroot. Small beetroot cooks faster than medium and big vegetable. I slowly roast medium beets for 2.5 hours. Older vegetables need longer cooking times than younger roots. If the beets are really big (10 cm in diameter or bigger) it’s better to cut them in half.
In my opinion, roasted beetroot tastes sweeter than boiled. The foil helps to lock the moisture in and the vegetable roasts and steams at the same time.
Loved these. Beetroot stays really moist.